PPS and IO: Patient Portal - Express Validation
This article applies to Valant IO and the Private Practice Suite
The following items are required from the patient to setup a Patient Portal Account:
- The patient's last name
- The validation code that was provided by the practice
- The URL (webpage address) of the Patient Portal account setup page for the practice
The following steps are the patient's experience while setting up a patient portal account:
- The "Setup Account" page will appear after clicking on the practice's URL
- The patient will enter their last name (the field is NOT case sensitive)
- The patient will enter the validation code
- The patient will enter the words that are displayed in the reCaptcha Security Box. For the visually impaired, patients can click on the speaker icon to hear the display verbally
- The patient will click the Setup Account button. The account setup box will appear as shown below
- The patient will enter a user name of their choosing in the "User name" field. The patient needs to remember this information to be able to log in
- Next, the patient will enter an optional email address in the "Email" field. If the patient already has an email specified in the EMR, this field will automatically be populated
- At the bottom of the "Account Setup" box, the patient will enter a password in the "Password" and "Confirm Password" fields. The requirements of the password are as follows:
- The password must be at least 6 characters long
- The password must have at least 1 upper case letter
- The password must have at least 1 lower case letter
- The password must have at least 1 number or non-alphabetic character (e.g., !@#$^&*?)
- The patient will choose three security questions, which are used to reset their password if it is forgotten
- Finally, the patient will select the Create Account button. If there is no email address for the patient in the EMR and the patient did not enter an email address above, they will have an opportunity to give a one-time email address so they can receive a receipt of the account setup. At this point, the patient has the following choices:
- If they decide to enter an email address, the patient will click on the Send Receipt to Above Email button
- If they decide not to enter an email address, the patient will click on the Proceed without Receipt button
Again, if the patient provides an email address on this screen, it will NOT be saved. This email address will be used solely to send the receipt.
If there is an email address for the patient in the EMR, or if the patient selected Send Receipt to Above Email on the previous step, the patient will receive the following email:
The patient will be logged in and taken to the Patient Portal homepage. From here, they can immediately begin filling out demographic information and any clinical questionnaires or outcome measures that have been pre-assigned.
Note that the "Account Setup Completed" portion only needs to be completed once and recommends that the patient does the following::
- Bookmark the page for future visits.
- Fill out the forms that the provider has assigned.
- Fill out the demographic information either under Quick Links or on the Account Settings tab