Allergies in the Patient Chart
The New Allergy button on the "Allergies" tab of the Patient Chart is a way to record a medication allergy for a patient. To add a new allergy:
- Open the Patient Chart and select the "Allergies" tab.
- Click New Allergy
For accounts subscribed to e-prescribing (DrFirst), clicking on the New Allergy button will display the DrFirst interface.
- In the Active/Current Allergies section, click the Indicate 'No Known Drug Allergies (NKDA)' link
- Choose the patient's allergy from the the "Select Common Allergy" drop-down menu.
- Click Add Common Allergy
- In the "Add Allergy" section, enter the reaction (using the drop-down menu or the free text field) and the onset date, if such information is available. Click Add.
- Repeat as necessary.
For accounts not subscribed to DrFirst e-prescribing
- First update Reference Data / Non-Medicine Allergies and create a list of common allergies.
- Clicking on the New Allergy button displays the "New Allergy" dialog box
- If the patient has no known allergies, click the Confirm that patient has no known allergies button at the bottom of the page, or
- Choose Medication or Non-Medication from the Allergy Type section.
- Select the allergy from the appropriate drop-down menu. (It will be highlighted in yellow, depending on which Allergy Type was chosen.)
- If the allergy in question is no longer active for the patient, check the "Inactive" checkbox.
- Click OK. Repeat as necessary.