PPS: Accessing and Using the Lab Request Types
This article applies to the Private Practice Suite
The Lab Request Types are used to add a lab request types or filter for a lab request type for editing. It can be accessed by clicking on Reference Data | Lab Request Types from the main navigation bar.
New Lab Request Type Button
Various types of lab requests can be specified on the Lab Request Types. Examples would include "Cholesterol, fasting" and "Cholesterol, routine". Lab request types can be added to the EHR by following these steps:
- Click on References Data | Lab Request Types | New Lab Request Type. The EMR will move the cursor to the "Name" field
- Type a name for the lab request type's description. (The ID can be numbers or letters and be up to forty characters in length
- Check the "Is Lab Panel" checkbox if the request will return several metrics rather than just one. (e.g. the multiple measurements taken when a CBC panel is requested).
- "LOINC Code" is the field where you may note that lab request's 5-6 digit LOINC number. LOINC is the universal coding system used by labs worldwide to denote a specific kind of lab request. (e.g. "3719-2" - Lithium [Mass/volume] in Serum or Plasma). These codes can be looked up here.
- Click Save
Marking a Lab Request Type as inactive:
- Click Reference Data | Lab Request Types
- Select a lab request type
- Check the "Inactive" checkbox in the middle of the screen
- Click Save.
Creating new lab requests for the patient
To add a lab request
- Click on the Lab Requests tab in the patient's chart
- Click the New Lab Request button on the right-hand side
- Select the lab tests that are to be run
- Set a reorder reminder, if necessary
- Click Save and Print
The printout will look as follows:
To include a fax number on the lab request slip, please do the following:
- Click on Persons and Institutions | Providers
- Select a provider
- Click the Preferences
- Uncheck the "Use Practice Address for Lab Requests" checkbox