PPS and IO: ERA Tips
This article applies to the Private Practice Suite and Valant IO
The following are best practice tips to consider when processing ERA files:
- Balance column: On the details page of an ERA file, always look at the "Balance" column on the far right, which displays what the balance will be if this ERA is posted in its current format.
- Sorting: Click the column headers to sort the transaction lines.
- Credit: To understand why there will be a credit on the account, right click the line item and use the "Easy Nav" menu to access the "View/Edit charges" page. If the credit is due to an erroneous contractual adjustment in the ERA file, expand the details for the ERA line item by clicking the plus icon, and uncheck the write-off.
- Ignore vs unassign: There’s only one real difference between the "Ignore" and "Unassign" radio buttons: the "Ignore" button can only be used on $0 response lines. If there is payment for a transaction that is not in the Valant EHR, leave the "Unassign" button checked to finish posting the ERA file. Unassigned payments will only appear on the "Unassigned Payments" report (after appearing once on the daysheet). They won’t appear on productivity or payment reports.
Recording insurance denials without posting: There are two methods to keep a record of an insurance denial without actually posting the denial and making the remaining balance patient responsibility:
Method 1: Use the "Ignore" radio button inside the ERA file and manually post the message:
- Click Billing | Apply Insurance Payment
- Tick both the "Partial" and "$0" checkboxes to attach an insurance response to the transaction without moving the balance to patient responsibility (or secondary insurance responsibility), and the transaction will continue to show up on insurance aging reports.
Method 2: Adding a note on the "View/Edit Charges" page:
- Select the "Ignore" button in the ERA file
- Right click the line item and use the "Easy Nav" menu to access the "View/Edit charges" page
- Select the transaction
- Select "Notes" in the gray menu bar in the middle of the screen.
- Type and save the note. A yellow "N" icon appears in the top half of the page, indicating the presence of a billing note on that transaction. These notes will not show up on patient statements.
- Method 1: Use the "Ignore" radio button inside the ERA file and manually post the message:
- Reviewing previously posted ERA files: Click Billing | ERA and check the box "Show processed payments". ERA files that have already been posted will appear in gray text, and files that have been bypassed earlier will appear in blue text.